Monday, August 22, 2011

Mosquitoes, God and Obedience

Read I Sam 15:1-26

I Sam 15:22
But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of ram.

Obedience to God must be in everything. It will be hypocritical to say Jesus is Lord if we pick and choose what and when to obey Him. Obedience in convenience is not obedience all at.

That is what Saul found out.

Last week, I was tormented by the presence of a mosquito in my room. It drove me up the walls and kept me scratching and whining. In times like those, I had dialogues with God. Ranging from “God help me kill the stupid mosquito” to “why God did you make the mosquito at all and since we are on the topic, why the cockroach and those hideous wasps too?”

Then our conversation turned to Noah – “why didn’t Noah kill these damned mosquitoes on the ark?”

“Obedience” – came the answer. When it comes to obedience, it must be in BIG and small things, in ALL THINGs. I have been thinking about it since.

Having Jesus as Lord means obeying Him even when it is inconvenient and annoying. We do it because He is Lord and we are not. Good enough answer for me.

P/S: So Noah and his family in the ark – were they tormented by mosquitoes? I bet they must have temptations to kill them (I did some research on mosquitoes and found out that they live an average lifespan of 3 to 100 days... and that they sucked blood of animals and not just humans. Turns out I don’t know that much about mosquitoes at all…)

No comments:

Post a Comment