Friday, August 12, 2011

God's Spirit Speaks

Read Job 1:1-5

Job 1:5
When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.

This morning I woke up to this particular verse – even before I opened my Bible. The verse just came as I was washing my face. What was I thinking then? Actually I don’t think I was thinking at all – to be honest. (It usually takes me about a good half an hour after I wake up for my brain cells to start working).

So – what was happening here? I believe that this is God’s Spirit speaking to me – period. I have known this passage and verse before but today the Spirit is trying to tell me something. Of course I immediately prayed for my children (the plain text says so). Then during my devotion, weird (not really – God is just real – not weird), the devotional prayer book I have been using directed me to Job again!! It was Job again but Job 16:19-21 – talking about our intercessor in heaven – our Lord Jesus…

3 things hit me again today (well, Job 1:5 was more like a lightning bolt hit)…
1. God’s Spirit speaks to our spirit – question is “are we sensitive to His prompting and whisper?”
2. God’s Word is “alive and alive, sharper than any double-edged sword…” (Heb 4:12)
3. God’s fellowship is so very real – I won’t trade my relationship with Him for anything.

But this experience comes to nothing if I do not apply His word. So I
1. Pray for my children – biological and spiritual children
2. Pray that I will be like Job – to be consistent in my prayer-life and discipline and love for my children. To be like Job – that God may ‘boast’ of me to Satan 
3. Praise God for the Spirit’s active intercession for me (Rom 8:26,27)

No comments:

Post a Comment