Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cry Freedom!

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed!

Freedom is a peculiar word – it means different things to different people.

To the people in Libya and many Middle-Eastern countries, it spells the overthrowing of a dictator and oppressive regimes. To the suffering populace in the horn of Africa, freedom means no more drought and famine. Yet to the oppressed Dalits in India or the many minority groups in Pakistan, it means the basic human right to make choices of their own.

What does Jesus means when he said we are set free? Free from what?

The answer is free from myself. Jesus came to set me free from my own sin, my self-centredness. The greatest enemy of ours is not from without but from within.

Some religious group wrap up their women from top to bottom thinking that the problem of lust is the women. But lust comes from the heart – something internal. Some people justify their lukewarmness toward God because the ‘Christians’ disappoint us. But our lack of faith in God is due to our obsession that God must act a certain way through a certain people. We still call the shots.

The freedom Jesus promises is the ability to ‘de-centralise’ ourselves so that we can love God and love others. This freedom is liberty from my dark malicious ego and it takes the selfless death of Christ to make this transaction possible. Galatians 2:20 must then be my conscious prayer everyday,

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment