Friday, May 20, 2011

Generous and implusive giving

Proverbs 3:27-28
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to act.
Do not say to your neighbor,
“Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you”—
when you already have it with you.

When it comes to generosity, being impulsive is good.

My mom was and is an impulsive giver. She has never withheld anything from anyone in need. I remembered vividly pictures of mom lending money to friends who were broke, running after a neighbour who went berserk because she found out her husband had an affair and cooking for my cousins and extended household.

One incident in my childhood stuck in my memory the most. I was ten years old. My cousin who was the same age as me came and stayed with us. She was adopted and not well-treated by her mom. It was near Chinese New Year. I was looking forward to having a new dress. During those times, you only get one new dress at Chinese New Year. When mom came home with the shopping bags, we were all excited. My cousin sat in a corner and said nothing. When mom took out the dress (which I thought was meant for me), she called my cousin instead and gave it to her. I remember how her face lit up – kind of disbelief, happiness and wow look and of course, mom beaming at her. Of course, I also remember how I felt – unfair and angry cos it was supposed to be my dress!

Looking back, I am glad that mom did it. Generosity and big-heartedness was not so much preached to me as it was lived out in front of me.

Proverbs said “if you have, give it now – don’t think twice.’ I think mom lived by that creed.

But Proverbs add that phrase, “to whom it is due” (v. 27). Think about those who are odd-job daily labourers. They would rely on being paid daily to feed their families and withholding what is supposed to be theirs, would mean hunger and abuse.

Those who have are the ones with power and that power comes with responsibility. It is a power of duty; to act justly and promptly and fairly on behalf and for the poor.

Power is a call to generous living and giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment