Friday, April 29, 2011

Fix our Eyes on Jesus

Read Hebrews 12:1-3

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

“A dog is man’s best friend”. Touted for its loyalty, a dog exemplifies what it a Master-and-servant relationship should be like.

I used to have a dog when I was growing up. Lucky (for that was its name) followed me everywhere and was my best pal. Though it was a family dog, there was no doubt in its mind that I was the master. So devoted to me was Lucky that it would not take its eyes off me when I was around the house. If I was in the house and my family called out to it, it would not leave my side unless I gave the command. Even tempting it with dog treats would not do the trick to lure it away from my side.

My dog illustrates what it means to ‘fix our eyes’ on the Master. As disciples, we are to fix our eyes on our Master and King Jesus. He is the One from whom we get our commands, approvals and satisfaction from. He left us with the example of how we should follow Christ. He also embodies the journey of discipleship and points to the end result of faithful commitment to God.

This lesson of spiritual concentration – of keeping our eyes on Christ must be mastered by everyone who wants to finish the race well. In verse 2, it says “fix” and in verse 3, we are exhorted to ‘consider” Christ. It all speaks of the need to focus and be attentive or concentrate.

Hebrews 12:1-3 outlines 3 daily practices to develop this concentration on Christ:
1.Remember Christ’s excellence – our faith starts in Him and will be perfected in Him
2.Remember Christ’s exaltation – the rewards from God far outweighed the difficulties
3.Remember Christ’s example – He ‘endured’ great opposition and so did our spiritual forefathers and left us a model to emulate

In view of all these truths found in Christ, we are to throw off our every sin and fasten our eyes on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment